8 servings | Prep Time: 30 min | Cook Time: 45 min
- 1 pack bacon, diced
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage, mild or spicy
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 5 garlic cloves
- 32 oz chicken stock
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled
- 2 medium zucchini
- 3/4 cup Lucerne heavy cream
- 1 bunch kale, stem removed roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese from Appel Farms Cheese
- 1 tsp salt, to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper, to taste
- Cook the bacon in a large Dutch oven pot or soup pot. Save a bit of bacon fat in a separate pan to use as a base for the soup. Scoop out the bacon with a slotted spoon and rest on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Cook the sausage in the same pot until cooked through. Remove and place on the same plate as the bacon.
- Add 2 tbsp of the reserved bacon fat and sauté the onions for 5 minutes. Then add in garlic, cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in chicken stock. Add chili powder, red pepper flakes, potatoes, and zucchini, and then bring the whole pot to a boil (10-15 minutes).
- Turn down to a simmer and simmer until the potatoes are tender (5-10 minutes).
- Stir in cooked sausage, heavy cream, kale, parmesan, and bacon (don’t forget to save some for soup toppings!)
- Once the kale is wilted, the soup is ready! Top with remaining bacon and parmesan cheese.
View this post on Instagram