Tikka Masala Mac and Cheese
Makes 4 servings | Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 8 oz dried elbow pasta
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp ginger & garlic, finely chopped
- ½ tbsp jalapeño, finely chopped
- ½ cup crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ tsp Kashmiri red chili powder
- ½ tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tsp kasuri methi, crushed (dried fenugreek leaves)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- ½ teaspoon salt (to taste), ¼ teaspoon black pepper, pinch of sugar
- 1 & 1/4 cup grated medium cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup grated gouda cheese, divided
- Cook the pasta according to instructions on the package.
- Melt butter in a pan, then add chopped ginger, garlic and jalapeño. Sauté for 2 minutes then add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and all the spices. Cook the spices for 1 minute.
- Add in the cream, milk, salt, pepper and pinch of sugar. Stir to combine until everything is mixed together well.
- Add ¾ cup grated cheddar & ¾ cup grated gouda. Stir and turn off the heat. Let the cheese melt until the sauce is smooth.
- Remove pan from stove, add the boiled pasta and mix.
- Transfer half of the pasta to an 8 x 8 greased square pan. Top with ¼ cup of the cheese, then add the remaining half of the pasta and finish with remaining ½ cup cheese.
- Bake at 325 F degrees for 15 to 20 minutes until the cheese melts! Garnish with cilantro if you like.