Naan the ordinary.
Embark on a culinary adventure with this Spinach Cheese Naan recipe from Manali who elevates her homemade naan by incorporating the yummy richness of Darigold and Ferndale Farmstead cheeses.
Plus, did you know natural cheeses often have minimal lactose, and aged varieties can be lactose-free?
Spinach and Cheese Naan
- 3 & 1/4 cup + 4 tbsp all purpose flour (423 grams + 36 grams)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup water (240 ml/8oz), lukewarm
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 3 tbsp oil (I used avocado oil)
- 1/3 cup milk, lukewarm
- 2 tbsp plain yogurt
- 10 oz frozen box of spinach, thawed and cooked according to instruction on package
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup grated mozzarella
- garlic powder, to taste
- In a bowl, add flour and salt.
- In the steel bowl of your stand mixer, combine lukewarm water, sugar, and yeast to activate the yeast. Let it sit for 5 minutes until the yeast blooms.
- To the yeast mixture, add oil, milk, and yogurt. Mix well.
- Gradually add the flour to the mixture and use the dough hook attachment to knead the dough for 5 minutes.
- Place the kneaded dough in a warm place for 1 hour to rise.
- Prepare the filling by thawing spinach and cooking until moisture-free in a pan.
- Mix cooked spinach with grated cheese and garlic powder for the filling.
- Punch risen dough to release air and divide into 8 equal balls and then flatten each dough ball and stuff with the spinach-cheese filling.
- Seal dough and roll to smoothen.
- Cover and rest dough balls for 15 minutes before rolling each ball into an oval-shaped naan.
- Heat cast iron skillet and cook naan until golden brown on both sides. (For charred appearance, place naan directly on heat if desired.)
- Brush cooked naan with butter and enjoy!
View this post on Instagram