10-12 servings | Prep Time: 10 min | Cook Time: 40 min | Additional Chill Time: 4 hrs
- In a 4-quart saucepan, add the eggs, egg yolks, sugar, and salt. Whisk well to combine. Pour the milk in slowly. Whisk well to combine with the eggs and sugar.
- Heat up the mixture using the lowest heat setting on your burner. Stir continuously until an instant-read thermometer reads 160°F or the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. This will take about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Strain the mixture through a sieve to remove any bits of cooked egg. Transfer to the fridge to cool for at least 4 hours.
- While the eggnog is cooling, whip the heavy cream to soft peaks. Fold into the cooled custard.
- Mix in nutmeg. Add vanilla extract, then mix in your liquor of choice. Start with ¼ cup and add to your taste.
- Pour into glasses and top with freshly grated nutmeg. The eggnog will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 3 days, but it’s best enjoyed right away!