Liège Waffles With Roasted Pears
8 waffles | Prep Time: About 1 hour hands-on (12 hours hands-off) | Cook Time: 1 hour
For the Dough:
- ⅓ cup warm (about 110℉) Twin Brook Creamery Whole Milk
- 1 package (2¼ teaspoons) active dry yeast
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1½ sticks DarigoldⓇ Unsalted Butter, cut into cubes and softened
For the Pears:
- 1 tablespoon DarigoldⓇ Unsalted Butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 ripe pears, such as Anjou, Bosc, or Bartlett, peeled, halved, cored, and cut into ¾” thick wedges
For the Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup DarigoldⓇ Heavy Cream
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or extract
For Cooking the Waffles:
- ½ cup pearl sugar
- To make dough: combine milk and yeast in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Let stand for 5 minutes to dissolve the yeast.
- Add 1 cup flour, eggs, sugar, and salt and mix on low speed until combined. With the mixer running, gradually add the remaining 1½ cups flour and mix until the dough comes together, about 5 minutes. Turn the mixer off and let the dough rest for 20 minutes.
- Replace the paddle attachment with the dough hook. Mix the dough on medium-low speed for 7 minutes.
- Turn the mixer speed up to medium and add the butter gradually, one piece at a time. Wait until each piece of butter is almost fully incorporated before adding the next, scraping down sides of mixing bowl occasionally.
- When the butter is kneaded completely into the dough, transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.
- To make the pears: preheat oven to 425℉. Line a large sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In a large skillet combine butter, maple syrup, and brown sugar. Place over medium-low heat until butter is melted and the brown sugar is mostly dissolved. Add pears and toss to coat with sugar mixture.
- Transfer pears to prepared sheet pan, spreading them out in a single layer. Roast pears for 30 minutes, then flip the pears and roast 10 minutes more.
- To make the whipped cream: in a medium bowl or a stand mixer fitted with the whisk, combine cream, sugar, and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until softly whipped. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To cook the waffles: gently knead pearl sugar into dough until evenly dispersed. Divide the dough into 8 pieces.
- Preheat waffle iron. Preheat oven to 200℉.
- Cook waffles in waffle iron until deeply browned. Keep cooked waffles in the warm oven as you cook remaining waffles.
- Serve waffles warm, topped with roasted pears and whipped cream.
Note: Caramelized sugar that is stuck to the waffle iron is easiest to clean while the iron is warm. If needed, place a damp, doubled paper towel between the waffle iron plates, close them, and set to the lowest heat setting for 5 minutes to help loosen the sugar.