Greek Yogurt Apple Coffee Cake
9 servings | Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
For the Brown Butter Apples
- 2 Tbsp Salted Butter
- 1/4 tsp Allspice
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 2 Small Apples, small diced (about 1.5 cups of small diced apples)
For the Coffee Cake Batter
- 1/2 cup Salted Butter, room temperature
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 5 cups Flour
- 5 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 cup Ellenos Plain Unsweetened Greek Yogurt, room temperature
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/4 tsp Salt
For the Cinnamon Almond Topping
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Flour
- 1 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp Butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp Sliced Almonds, plus more for topping
- Brown Butter Apples. In a small sauté pan over medium heat, add butter, and swirl until it starts to bubble and starts to brown
- Peel and small dice apples.
- Add to browned butter, along with allspice, and cook about 3 minutes until apples are slightly softened
- Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Coffee Cake Batter and Topping. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ingredients Cinnamon Almond Topping, set aside.
- Line an 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer cream butter and sugar together until soft and fluffy
- Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl, set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix Ellenos Real Greek Yogurt with vanilla extract, set aside.
- Add eggs to the creamed butter and sugar mixture in the stand mixture one at a time, mixing completely after each addition.
- Add flour mixture and greek yogurt mixture to the creamed butter, sugar, and eggs. Alternating between the flour and greek yogurt, starting and ending with the flour mixture.
- Mix until just combined. Make sure all ingredients are incorporated with a spatula. Careful to not over-mix.
- Add half of the coffee cake batter to the 8×8 baking dish, use a spatula to spread evenly.
- Add brown butter apples and spread out evenly.
- Add the remaining half of the coffee cake batter on top of the brown butter apples.
- Top with the cinnamon almond topping, and use a toothpick to swirl the topping onto the coffee cake. Top with some additional almonds.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
View this post on Instagram