A cheesy burst of flavor in every bite!
Celebrate National Dairy Month with a scrumptious twist on a childhood favorite snack from Luna! These Cheesy Empanadas feature the rich flavors of Washington Dairy cheese from Dargold.
By using locally sourced dairy products, not only do you indulge in delightful cheesy goodness, but you also contribute to the growth of our local economy and reduce carbon emissions from long-distance transportation. It’s a win-win for your taste buds and the environment!
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium gold potato diced
- 2 tbsps oyster sauce
- 2 tbsps tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 lb Darigold Colby jack cheese, shredded
- 1 box frozen puff pastry thawed (2 sheets)
- 1 egg
- Heat about a tbsp or so of oil on medium in a skillet. Add in the onions and sauté for 3 min then add the garlic and cook for an additional min.
- Put in the ground turkey and cook until no longer pink then season with the tomato paste, oyster sauce, salt, and black pepper. Then add the potatoes and water.
- Cover and set the heat to medium-low, and simmer for 15 min, stirring occasionally. Once done, pour the mixture into a sheet pan and allow to cool for 30 min to an hour. Meanwhile, thaw the puff pastry.
- Once the pastry has thawed, roll it out on a floured surface to about 1/8 inch and use a bowl that’s about 4 1/2 – 5 inches in diameter to cut out discs. You should get about 4-5 discs from each sheet (plus more when you roll out the leftover dough).
- Fill the pastry rounds with about 2 tbsps of the cooled filling and a good pinch of shredded cheese and carefully fold over the dough while pushing in the filling and pinching the edges, then seal the edges with a fork.
- Place the empanadas on the baking sheet fitted with a silicone baking mat or parchment. Scramble the egg and brush the egg wash on top of the empanadas and sprinkle more cheese on top.
- Bake at 400 for 20-23 min, until puffed and golden with a cheesy crust.
Note: You will most likely have leftover filling. You can enjoy this as a meal with rice or mix it with eggs for a delicious omelet!
View this post on Instagram