Cheese and Vegetable Strata
- 1 3/4 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 5 dashes hot sauce (like Tabasco)
- 4-5 cups firm or stale 1-inch bread cubes
- 3 cups raw spinach or 10-ounces frozen spinach, thawed, drained
- 1/2 chopped cooked peppers
- 1/2 cup cherry or diced tomatoes
- 1 cup grated cheese
- Cooking spray
- Heat oven to 375°F. Lightly spray 10-inch oven-proof skillet or 11” x 8” baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir milk, eggs, Dijon mustard, dried onion, and hot sauce with a fork or whisk until eggs are blended and mixture is the same color.
- Add bread cubes, vegetables, and cheese to milk mixture, stir together until all is well mixed. Pour into baking dish. Bake 35-40 minutes, until bread is toasted and the strata looks set. Remove from oven.
- Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat in 350°F oven for 15 minutes or in the microwave 2-3 minutes, until heated through.
- Harder vegetables such as peppers, onion, broccoli, and celery should be cooked before adding to milk mixture.
- Try different cheeses to use what you have. Cheddar, Swiss, Parmesan, or cottage cheese work well.
- Firm or stale breads are preferred because soft breads become mushy. Bagels, sourdough, baguette, or ciabatta are good choices.