Whiskey Caramelized Apple Gingerbread Trifles
For the cake:
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 stick DarigoldⓇ Unsalted Butter, melted
- ½ cup boiling water
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup molasses
- 2” piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated or minced
- 1 large egg
For the apples:
- 2 tablespoons DarigoldⓇ Unsalted Butter
- 4 large baking apples (about 1 pound 12oz), such as Gala, Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, or Pink Lady, cored and chopped
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons whiskey
For the whipped cream:
- 1½ cups DarigoldⓇ Heavy Cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Candied ginger, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Spray a 9” square baking pan with cooking spray, and line with parchment paper so the parchment extends over 2 sides of the pan.
- In a medium bowl whisk to combine flour, ginger, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a large bowl whisk to combine butter, water, brown sugar, molasses, and ginger. Once the mixture is smooth, whisk in the egg. Stir in dry ingredients until well combined. The batter will be a little lumpy.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Let cool in pan on a rack for 10 minutes, then use parchment to lift cake out of pan to cool completely on a rack.
- Prepare the apples: In a large nonstick skillet melt butter. Add apples and stir to coat with butter. Sprinkle sugar and salt over apples and cook, stirring occasionally, until apples are tender, 6-8 minutes. Add whiskey and cook until whiskey has boiled off. Remove from heat and let apples cool completely.
- Prepare the whipped cream: In a large bowl or a stand mixer fitted with the whisk, beat cream, sugar, and vanilla on medium speed until stiffly whipped.
- Cut cooled gingerbread cake into ¾” cubes.
- To assemble, have ready 6 wide glasses or jars. Place a layer of gingerbread in bottom of each, then top with a layer of apples and a layer of whipped cream. Top with another layer of gingerbread, apples, and whipped cream. Lightly sprinkle with candied ginger.
- Serve trifles immediately or keep refrigerated up to 4 hours.